Use /dev/swradioN (v4l2 api) as source

From: Stefan Oltmanns
Subject: Use /dev/swradioN (v4l2 api) as source
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 21:26:34 +0200

Hello,

is there any way to use devices exposed as /dev/swradioN by the v4l2
Linux kernel API with GNURadio directly?

At the moment there are only two in-tree kernel drivers, one for the
RTL2832U and the other for the Mirics MSi2500. For the RTL2832U
librtlsdr seems to be the better option, as it offers more features to
control the device, but libmirisdr seems to unmaintained and not stable
(at least for me), support has been removed from OsmoSDR years ago.
I do have such a Dongle and with the kernel driver it seems to work just
fine.

I also found an out-of-tree driver for CX2388x-based TV cards, so a V4L2
source block could be very useful. Is there any specific reason, why
such a source block doesn't exist yet?
Or is it just that nobody needed it and therefore no one bothered
writing one?

Best regards
Stefan