Re: Rational resample before FFT, and FFT rate

From: Gary Schafer
Subject: Re: Rational resample before FFT, and FFT rate
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 18:35:02 -0400

Let me answer some of your questions in reverse order:

"My main question is why the displayed maximum bin value is updating much more
slowly than once per second when FFT size = sample rate."

That could be due to an issue in Gnu Radio. I've noticed that if the bin width
(sample rate / N) is close to or less than 1 Hz, my flowgraphs will either
crash or just stop running (freeze up). Perhaps that's an issue with this. I'd
love to hear someone more knowledgeable than I on Gnu Radio chime in.
Otherwise, you may have to resort to Python (or something similar) programming.

"I need data points at convenient intervals for time series plotting, e.g., 512
samples/second going into a 512 bin FFT to provide one maximum amplitude value per
second."

Let me answer that one at the same time as "Ultimately I want to plot both the
amplitude and any frequency change to sub-Hz resolution."

Okay, you've hit a contradiction. You can NOT get "sub-Hz" resolution using a sample
rate, in Hz, that equals your time record size, in samples. The most common measure of resolution
for FFTs is the equivalent noise bandwidth (ENBW), and RBW = fs*B/N, where fs = sample rate, B =
NENBW (normalized equivalent noise bandwidth) of the window used, and N = number of samples in the
time record fed into the FFT. You can achieve sub-Hz *binwidth* by zero-padding the data, but that
just really smooths out the spectral data. It doesn't really give you "sub-Hz resolution".

Thinking it through, the ONLY way I can see you getting your sub-Hz resolution
AND maintain a data point collection of 1 sample / second is to use overlapping
FFTs. For example, see
https://karc.ca/sites/default/files/EUCARA-2018%20-%20EUCARA2018_Dwingeloo_goes_SDR.pdf.
 Pe1nut (aka Paul Boven, the author of that presentation) is truly gifted in
using Gnu Radio to do some great things in radio astronomy. That would require
you to create multiple flows for your samples that allow for the data to
overlap between FFTs. With four overlapping FFTs, for example, and with a
window type that has a relatively small NENBW (Hamming, for example), you could
get a resolution of roughly 0.33 Hz.

Make sense?

Gary