Re: Rational resample before FFT, and FFT rate

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: Rational resample before FFT, and FFT rate
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 20:17:47 -0400

On 4/30/24 18:35, Gary Schafer wrote:

"I need data points at convenient intervals for time series plotting, e.g., 512 samples/second going into a 512 bin FFT to provide one maximum amplitude value per second."

Let me answer that one at the same time as "Ultimately I want to plot both the amplitude and any frequency change to sub-Hz resolution."

Okay, you've hit a contradiction. You can NOT get "sub-Hz" resolution using a sample rate, in Hz, that equals your time record size, in samples.

Hi Gary -- sorry if my message was confusing. I do understand the relationships between sample rate, FFT depth, time resolution, and frequency resolution. I used 512 samples/512 bins/1 second as a simple test case for the problem that I'm not getting one data point per frame, regardless of the frame rate. Given how noisy this data is, I may well end up with something like one frame per 10 seconds, but before I can play with that I need to understand what is wrong with my processing to get the amplitude of the maximum bin per frame.

John