Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Evolution des versions et patch

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Evolution des versions et patch
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:32:57 +0200

Hi all,

There is a long time that I read this mailing list and this subject retain my attention particularly. So for this time I don't stay dumb. I have an interest in dolibarr because I started a project to synchronise Dolibarr and VirtueMart. After a first version than an evolution I have suspended the project for different reasons but I am still thinking to it and hope to continue in the future.

On an over side, I am an employee of a compagny where I maintain software (fixing bugs). This job takes me aware about versioning problems (keeping old versions up to date for the bugs fixing without including the new features). In the same time I am "autoentrepreneur" (french status) specialized on small Joomla extension developpement. So I think that I can tell that I am familiar whit php, _javascript_ and mysql.
(And I use Dolibarr to produce my invoices).

Also I am sure that trying to report bug fixing changes from developpement team in a LTS version would allow me to be progressively more familiar with Dolibarr code and so this may help me in my Dolibarr/VirtueMart developpement project. So I am quite interested by supporting a LTS version.

Before taking a decision, I think that I have to know more about what skills are necessary to accomplish this task correctly and how many time it will take to perform it. So in a first step, I would like to know if it is possible to evaluate the number (average) of fixes per month that should be taken in account (to report them in the LTS version). And also if possible the percentage that are just copy of line codes compared to the fixes that needs to be investigated because they are linked to the new features lines of code.
An over important information could be : is it easy today to make the difference between the bug fixing changes and the new features changes ?

So I stop for the moment. I continue to think about that and wait to see if I can get some answers to these first questions.

Best regards,
Jean-Paul
> Message du 31/07/12 11:14
> De : "i.d & l"
> A : address@hidden
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Evolution des versions et patch

Problem with LTS is to have a dedicated maintainer for the supported versions.

I don't think we're speaking about versionS but one LTS at a time.

> On 30/07/2012 21:11, Régis Houssin wrote:

simultaneously all versions were more or less corrected over time, for example 3.1 we're at version 3.1.3
> versions are not officially announced but they exist.
> Moreover, the 3.2.1 is already used by some :-)
> when a problem occurs, we try to fix it on all the latest versions (3.1, 3.2) when possible.

Le 30/07/12 21:05, Laurent Destailleur (eldy) a écrit :

To answer this question (When), we must first answer another question: Who ?

> Doing a long time support is still possible. But who will maintain it ? And if we found someone that agree to keep using an old version and maintain it, how to be sure he will still be active during all the long time support period. For the moment, we have not answer for this, so no way to guarantee an long time support version.
>

> Le 30/07/2012 17:05, Marcos García a écrit :

In my opinion, as long as Dolibarr is stable there's no need to make a LTS version, if the Dolibarr team decides to make a modification to the code that brokens backwards compatibility I think that it is because that's the correct way. It is our job as developers, to fix compatibility in third-party modules with newer versions, but it is not our job to care about people not upgrading their modules.

I know many people won't agree with me and I think my opinion is like "Planned obsolescence" but the web changes every day and I think that we cannot stay in old days...

Regards,

Marcos García
address@hidden