Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2021 11:53:21 +0100

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

> There is a difference between trying something new, and changing
> defaults.  When changing default behaviour it is a good idea to do a
> initial poll before changing it.  It will cause less friction later
> on.

We are testing things out on the development branch -- that's the only
way to get real experience with a change, and that includes changes of
defaults.

>    And the behaviour has been restored to what it was, so I don't get
>    the point of this pile-on.
>
> They might not read the commit history, or every single message posted
> to the list.

This is the Emacs development list.  If "they" aren't following the
development, "they" should feel free not to pile on.

All this bickering makes the Emacs development distinctly less friendly
-- any change, no matter how trivial, seemingly leads to these endless
demands for change of process or cries of outrage.  Here a developer
made a change, we tried it out for a time, I said "this is a bit
annoying", others agreed, and the change was reverted.  This is how the
system should work.  And then we get messages, like yours, beating a
horse that's long dead, and that's not helpful.