Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 00:58:31 -0500

  > > I think Richards point was that there had been such changes, if they
  > > where made in 1992 or some other year isn't really significant. Rather,
  > > that they still trip him over.
  > >

  > Yes, and my question is: to which point of time is he referring?

It isn't about any particular date or time.
That's not the kind point this is.

You're addressing a specific detail.  That would make sense if the
detail were part of a step in an argument for a technical point.  But
this isn't that kind of point.

Maybe that is why I have not stated the point in a precise and sharp
way.  Because the idea doesn't come sharp.  Coming up with a clear
analysis of it takes reflection.

After some reflection, here's what I think the point is.

isearch-mode-map is not like a prefix key's map.
A control character which is undefined in isearch-mode-map is not a
vacant space, not a place you can put some nice new feature
and nobody will mind.

The undefined control character is a useful convenience feature,
which people use.

Except that with many control characters defined, it is hard to
remember which ones are defined -- hard to be confident that a given
control character is one that will exit the search for you.

--
Dr Richard Stallman