Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:53:36 +0000

Hello, Martin.

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 19:26:02 +0100, martin rudalics wrote:
>  > Actualy, I don't think it's as ugly as all that.
>  > select-frame-set-input-focus is an extremely coherent function; it does
>  > one thing and does it well, i.e. switch frames.  Maybe it's a pity that
>  > it's a Lisp function rather than a C function, but it is as it is.

> It does call 'raise-frame' something people with 'focus-follows-mouse' t
> (not 'auto-raise') might not want here.  And it may have to move the
> mouse cursor according to the 'mouse-autoselect-window' and
> 'focus-follows-mouse' policies.  Most window managers don't handle the
> latter well (IIRC only the otherwise abominable mutter and KDE could do
> it approximately).  And the former wants the selected window to be set
> up well before calling 'select-frame-set-input-focus'.

It is nevertheless the standard function to call to move focus to a
different frame.  If there are problems with focus-follows-mouse, they
should surely be fixed in frame.el as a separate problem.

>  > I've been trying to think through the bit about redirect-frame-focus.
>  > It's difficult.  Are you aware of any particular scenarios where it might
>  > go wrong with select-frame-set-input-focus?  Or is it more a general
>  > concern, possibly from past experience?  For example if the source frame
>  > has focus redirected to a MB-only frame, and s-f-s-i-focus is called,
>  > should that redirected focus be undone?  I'm a little confused about the
>  > difference between a MB-only frame being the selected frame, and it being
>  > the focus frame of a different "normal" frame.

> I already had to revert one change because I got that wrong.  It's again
> mostly about using 'focus-follows-mouse' t with a standalone minibuffer
> frame and I've never been able to understand how people manage that when
> the normal frame practically completely covers the minibuffer frame.
> But sooner or later this point will get moot because with Wayland people
> will be no more able to put a standalone minibuffer frame wherever they
> want to.

OK.  My gut feeling is just to ignore this potential problem at the
moment.

>  >> We're right in hell's kitchen here.

>  > I've actually implemented the above, on a trial basis.  It was actually
>  > surprisingly easy.  The C-g bit was just 9 extra lines (plus comments) in
>  > internal_catch (eval.c), and another small function in minibuf.c.

>  > You say "hell's kitchen".  Again, is this on general principles,

> Just gut feeling.

OK.  I can understand that.  ;-)

>  > or can
>  > you see some specific problems which might crop up?  My feeling is that
>  > this way of dealing with "not the innermost minibuffer" is simple, and
>  > possibly as good as we're going to get.

My intention at the moment is to commit my current state of work.  I'm
attaching the patch.

Here's a commit message to go with it:

Fix incompleteness in the implementation of minibuffer-follows-selected-frame

In particular, add a new value to the variable, and fix several bugs apparent
with the implementation up till now.

* doc/emacs/mini.texi (Basic Minibuffer): Add a description of the new
non-nil, non-t value of minibuffer-follows-selected-frame.

* doc/emacs/trouble.texi (Quitting): Add a description of how C-g handles
recursive minibuffers when typed in one which isn't the most nested.

* doc/lispref/minibuf.texi (Intro to Minibuffers): Add an @dfn for "active
minibuffer".
(Minibuffer Commands): Document that exit-minibuffer throws an error when not
invoked from the innermost Minibuffer.
(Recursive Mini): Amend the description of the visibility of outer level
minibuffers.
(Minibuffer Misc): In the description of the minibuffer hooks, replace "the
minibuffer" with "a minibuffer".

* etc/NEWS (Entry announcing minibuffer-follows-selected-frame): Add a
description of the new non-nil, non-t value.

* lisp/cus-start.el (top level): make the customize entry for
minibuffer-follows-selected-frame a choice between three entries.

* lisp/minibuffer.el (exit-minibuffer): throw an error when we're not in the
most nested minibuffer.

* lisp/window.el (window-deletable-p): return the symbol `frame' when (amongst
other things) minibuffer-follows-selected-frame is t.

* src/eval.c (internal_catch): Add a mechanism to (throw 'exit t) repeatedly
when the throw currently being processed doesn't terminate the current
minibuffer.

* src/lisp.h (this_minibuffer_depth): New extern declaration
(minibuf_level): extern declaration moved here from window.h.

* src/minibuf.c (minibuffer_follows_frame, minibuf_stays_put)
(minibuf_moves_frame_when_opened): New and amended functions to query the
value of minibuffer-follows-selected-frame.
(choose_minibuf_frame): check (minibuf > 1) in place of (minibufer > 0) at a
particular place.  At another place, check that an alleged frame is so and is
live.  Before selecting a non-miniwindow on a different frame, ensure it
really is a different frame.
(move_minibuffer_onto_frame): Stack up all recursive minibuffers on the target
frame.  Check the minibuf_window isn't in the old frame before setting that
frame's miniwindow to an inactive minibuffer.
(Finnermost_minibuffer_p): New primitive.
(this_minibuffer_depth): New function.
(read_minibuf): Record the calling frame in a variable, and switch back to it
after the recursive edit has terminated normally, using
select-frame-set-input-focus.  Stack up all the recursive minibuffers on the
miniwindow where a new minibuffer is being opened.  After the recursive edit,
switch the selected window away from the expired minibuffer's window.
(nth_minibuffer): New function.
(minibuffer-follows-selected-frame): Change from a DEFVAR_BOOL to a
DEFVAR_LISP.

* src/window.c (decode_next_window_args): Set *minibuf to w's mini-window's
content when that content is a minibuffer.

* src/window.h (minibuf_level) Declaration moved from here to lisp.h.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).