Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:49:03 +0100

> Three frames F1, F2, F3:
>
> On F1, C-x C-f foo.el.  Move to F2: C-x C-f bar.el.  Move to F3 C-x C-f
> baz.el RET.
>
> baz.el is visited in F3.  The minibuffers remain in F3.  Move point to
>   *Minibuf-2* in F3, and type RET.  bar.el is visited in F2, BUT THE
> FOCUS REMAINS IN F3.  This is suboptimal.  If we visit a file in a
> frame, the focus should be on that frame, not somewhere else.  As an
> analogy, C-x 5 f foo.el visits foo.el on another (typically new) frame
> and MOVES THE FOCUS TO THAT FRAME.

This "MOVES THE FOCUS TO THAT FRAME" is done by the WM.  Emacs doesn't
care normally because it usually can't fight it anyway (you can try by
setting the ‘no-focus-on-map’ frame parameter but it's no general cure).
With practically all WMs, a new window always gets focus automatically.

> Why shouldn't that be done in the
> current scenario?

Because we are talking about a frame (F2) that already exists in your
scenario.

martin