Re: Automatic (e)tags generation and incremental updates

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Automatic (e)tags generation and incremental updates
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 01:13:17 +0200

On 10.01.2021 20:14, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I don't know how to automate it better. If the buffer doesn't belong to
any project, which tags table would we use for it? We'll have to prompt
the user, and that's what we do already by default.
I thought this prompt will not be supported anymore.  If we are
keeping it as fallback when the current buffer doesn't specify which
tags table to use, then I'm okay with that.

For now it's clearly supported with the default value of etags-regen-mode (which is 'off'). Or if you 'M-x visit-tags-table' before having one auto-generated.

Having them work together would be better, I guess, but what should we do exactly?

Would we prompt for the tags table just once upon encountering a project-less buffer, and then use it for all such buffers in the current session?