Re: Automatic (e)tags generation and incremental updates

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Automatic (e)tags generation and incremental updates
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 03:49:49 +0200

On 11.01.2021 16:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Or if you 'M-x visit-tags-table' before having one auto-generated.

I meant both the generation and the usage.  Can we prompt the user in
both cases if the current buffer doesn't tell us where the tags table
should be?

Okay, would we prompt for an existing, bespoke TAGS file, or for a project directory to auto-generate tags from?

The latter case means we'd basically mark that project as the "default" for the purposes of etags-regen until the end of the current session.

It wouldn't include tags from any of the project-less files, though. But if you were only thinking about non-file-visiting buffers, that's not a problem.

Would we prompt for the tags table just once upon encountering a
project-less buffer, and then use it for all such buffers in the current
session?

I think we should use it for buffers that don't have their local
value, yes.

All right, see above.