Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repol

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Org schemas we talked to be non-free, was: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 18:50:08 +0100

> Schemas are attached.

> I see copyright notices inside and it appears to be fully free
> document modifiable and distributable as long as copyrights remains.

Read these notices carefully. The key paragraph is this:

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published,
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this section are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.

Only a special class of derivative works can be distributed freely,
and it sounds like some of these would fall under "fair use" anyway.
Certainly this isn't enough to qualify as a free software license?

   However, this document itself may not be modified in any way,
   including by removing the copyright notice or references to OASIS,
   except as needed for the purpose of developing any document or
   deliverable produced by an OASIS Technical Committee (in which case
   the rules applicable to copyrights, as set forth in the OASIS IPR
   Policy, must be followed) or as required to translate it into
   languages other than English.