emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Paper Zettelkasten safety [was: Why Emacs-humanit

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Paper Zettelkasten safety [was: Why Emacs-humanities?]
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2021 20:02:54 +1000

On 2020-12-23 19:01 +01, M. ‘quintus’ Gülker <post+emacs-humanities@guelker.eu> wrote:
Am Dienstag, dem 22. Dezember 2020 schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
I also recommend trying actual paper-based Zettelkasten. It feels
completely different from software solutions.
I am currently experimenting with the Zettelkasten concept, but only
digitally. What prevents me from trying an analogue, paper-based
Zettelkasten is the fear of loss. I mean, how do you make a backup of
this thing? What if there is a fire and your invaluable notes are all
burnt to ashes? Do you keep your notes in a fire-proof safe?

Scanning and/or transcribing to digital text could be one way to keep
everything safe and backed-up.  I didn’t try Zettelkasten yet (and I
doubt I will), but that’s what I did with my notes for a long time: take
notes on paper or on the book itself, scan, transcribe later.  I still
do lecture notes the same way (did, before the rona), tho I skip
scanning.

Often I see the fear expressed that a fire should burn up everything not digitally stored. I wonder whether this is a rational fear, or if the technology itself asserts an inflated importance to its own medium.

The extreme example of this fear is the person concerned about whether their server will survive a nuclear holocaust... Can you imagine treking through a radioactive wasteland to meet the only other living human you've seen in days and they're excited to show you their blog is still online?

If a fire indeed burnt down your house, would your notes be one of the things you miss most? Or does the energy invested into tending to your digital garden just make it feel that way?

This is not to suggest that the loss of paper notes is insignificant, but I'd weigh up the pros/cons. I do most of my writing on a typewriter. It is the most joyous way to write. I have stacks of folders of paper pages that, in the event of a fire, would be toast. But for me the tradeoff is worth it because the experience of writing is so much better.