Re: Suggestion to increase usefulness of TAB key / 'org-cycle' function

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Suggestion to increase usefulness of TAB key / 'org-cycle' function
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 18:45:19 +0000

Philipp Kiefer <phil.kiefer@gmail.com> writes:

>> Do I understand you correctly that you mean tab should cycle visibility
>> in this case?
>>
>> * headline
>> some text
>> CURSOR IS HERE
>> - a list
> Yes, I suggested that in those cases, org-cycle should fold the subtree
> point is in, i. e. fold up to the next parent heading above.

To get this, just customize `org-cycle-emulate-tab' to nil.

> Hm, for me, TAB does not currently seem to do any indenting anywhere in
> an Org file.

It just means that <TAB> is not configured to do anything in your Emacs.
By default, the Org's fallback is `org-cycle-emulate-tab' or whatever
global <TAB> is bound to.

> If people use tab for indentation in Org out of the box when not on
> headings (which it has never done for me, I think), my suggestion would
> indeed be moot.

<TAB> does a lot of staff. Just read through `org-cycle' docstring.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,