Re: Suggestion to increase usefulness of TAB key / 'org-cycle' function

From: Philipp Kiefer
Subject: Re: Suggestion to increase usefulness of TAB key / 'org-cycle' function
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 22:31:54 +0200

I see. Thank you for your very helpful reply!

On 01.05.2023 20:45, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Philipp Kiefer <phil.kiefer@gmail.com> writes:

Do I understand you correctly that you mean tab should cycle visibility
in this case?

* headline
some text
CURSOR IS HERE
- a list
Yes, I suggested that in those cases, org-cycle should fold the subtree
point is in, i. e. fold up to the next parent heading above.
To get this, just customize `org-cycle-emulate-tab' to nil.

Hm, for me, TAB does not currently seem to do any indenting anywhere in
an Org file.
It just means that <TAB> is not configured to do anything in your Emacs.
By default, the Org's fallback is `org-cycle-emulate-tab' or whatever
global <TAB> is bound to.

If people use tab for indentation in Org out of the box when not on
headings (which it has never done for me, I think), my suggestion would
indeed be moot.
<TAB> does a lot of staff. Just read through `org-cycle' docstring.