Re: [POLL] Add command names to key bindings in Org Guide? (was: Suggest

From: Jens Neuhalfen
Subject: Re: [POLL] Add command names to key bindings in Org Guide? (was: Suggestion: for each listed keybinding, also name the command)
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 08:25:13 +0200

> On the other hand, new users may benefit from seeing the command names
> alongside with the bindings, especially users of pre-packages Emacs
> where the bindings may be shadowed by evil-mode and the likes.
>
> WDYT?

I am in favor. One of my main problems in learning emacs: I started with evil
and all documentation lacking the function names was literally a huge source of
frustration. Also, humans are much better at remembering names than high
entropy keystrokes. If I just remember a bit of the name, I can easily find the
key binding in the help. The other way around is not possible. Just like a
phone book. The numbers (key bindings) are shorter, yes. But good luck trying
to find 555-12346 when you remember 555-12345.

BR Jens