Re: [POLL] Will it be ok to allow HABIT property inheritance? (optionall

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Will it be ok to allow HABIT property inheritance? (optionally)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 16:25:36 +0000

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

>     > No objections have been raised.
>
> Well, you have not really given much time to respond.

2 weeks. I could have waited one month, but this is relatively safe
breaking change.

> Does this mean that all sub-heading with their TODOs will now become
> habits? I would like much more information on the effects of this
> proposal.

Sorry if I was not clear in my original message.

1. STYLE will _not_ be inherited by default after the proposed change.
2. HABIT will be inherited if user customized
   `org-use-property-inheritance' to value of t (aka inherit all properties)
3. STYLE will be inherited if user explicitly added "STYLE" to
   `org-use-property-inheritance' when it is a list.

Only (2) can be breaking.

> We have had `habits' for zillions of years which have worked well. So
> why the change?

To be able to dedicate a separate subtree or file to habits,
automatically making all the sub-tasks habits without spamming property
drawers setting :STYLE: habit.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,