Re: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 15:30:26 +0000

Andrea Lazzarini <andrea.lazzarini1@gmail.com> writes:

> Eldoc (or tooltips) could be great for previewing: I'm going to give them a
> try
> and to see how they might be integrated in an academic writing workflow.
> I wander if they would maintain buffer-specific highlighting though...

AFAIK, Eldoc expects a function that will return the string to be
displayed. You can use `font-lock-ensure' to fontify the footnote
definition you need to display. Then, the copied string will hold the
fontification as it would be in Org mode buffer.

>> "Eeasier Footnote Deletion": How is it different from `org-footnote-delete'?
>>

> That was nothing more than a simple wrapper for org-footnote-delete, which
> is not an interactive function: btw, I am curious to know if there is a
> reason for
> that. Why should users re-implement org-footnote-delete with wrappers if
> they want to use it interactively?

I see nothing in git history and mailing list.
I think that it makes sense to convert org-footnote-delete into
interactive function.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,