Re: HTML export meta tag

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: HTML export meta tag
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 04:37:26 +0800

Hi Scott,

> Just to give some support to my request, the HTML standard
> (<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/syntax.html#start-tags>) says this:
> “Then, if the element is one of the void elements, or if the element is a
> foreign element, then there may be a single U+002F SOLIDUS character (/),
> which
> on foreign elements marks the start tag as self-closing. On void elements, it
> does not mark the start tag as self-closing but instead is unnecessary and has
> no effect of any kind. For such void elements, it should be used only with
> caution — especially since, if directly preceded by an unquoted attribute
> value,
> it becomes part of the attribute value rather than being discarded by the
> parser.”

The things is the ox-html exporter currently tries to (mostly) support XHTML,
which as I understand requires the self-closing slash.

I think what’s really needed is an HTML export implementation that can more
easily support different “modes” of export, but somebody needs to work on that
🙃.

All the best,
Timothy

--
Timothy (‘tecosaur’/‘TEC’), Org mode contributor.
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/tec>.