Re: How to export to the simplest possible HTML?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: How to export to the simplest possible HTML?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 06:21:41 +0000

> ... I tried this:
>
> (org-html-export-as-html nil nil nil t '(org-export-with-toc nil))

You need (org-html-export-as-html nil nil nil t '(:with-toc nil))
See `org-export-options-alist'.

> but the ToC still appears in the output.  Also, I'd prefer to do it
> a bit "less interactively" - for example, setting the current buffer to
> the one with export results is unnecessary for me, since I'm going to
> call my exporting function in a loop over many elements.  I tried
>
> (org-export-with-backend 'html (org-element-at-point (point)))

Just use `org-export-as'.

> but it errored out:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
>   org-html-headline((headline (:raw-value ...)) ...)
>   org-export-with-backend(html (headline (:raw-value ...)))

Because `org-element-at-point' does not return a parsed subtree. Just a
partial one without children.

> I also want to supply my custom formatting for italics & friends, so
> that
>
> This is /italic/.
>
> can become e.g.
>
> This is <span class="emphasize">italic</span>.
>
> I'm considering writing a custom (derived) export backend, but maybe
> that is an overkill?  Any ideas?

Derived backend will be the easiest. It is not even hard. Just a few
lines of code.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,