Re: Unable to install from elpa

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Unable to install from elpa
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 08:10:13 +0000

>> The first instance of M-x package-install <RET> org <RET> comes from
>> ELPA itself. Considering that ELPA is targeting various Emacs versions,
>> it should probably be corrected there first.
>
> Generally agree, but I am skeptical concerning changes in ELPA since
> only minority of packages are affected.

All the built-in packages will be affected.

Let's first try to report and see what the reply is.

>> The second instance in README.org may then be altered according to what
>> ELPA devs do.
>
> Users may open README.org outside of ELPA. "To install a more recent
> version..." is is not enough even for coming Emacs-29 since the default
> value for `package-install-upgrade-built-in' is nil.

Sure. But, as I said, let's first ask Emacs devs what will be the best
formulation for alternative instructions. I do not want to invent
something when we can just ask others.

> Another pitfall with install instruction in an .org file is that if the
> file is opened in Emacs < 29 then package.el generates mixed-versions
> .elc files. A precaution is necessary that `list-packages' should be run
> in a clean emacs session, not the one with README.org.

Let's not think about this too much just yet. We are still discussing
ways to improve `org-assert-version'. Maybe extra instructions here are
not necessary.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,