Re: exporting to PDF multi-lingual document

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: exporting to PDF multi-lingual document
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 17:28:22 +0200

> The downside of lualatex is that it is slower:
> https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87a69j9c6s.fsf@localhost/

BTW: One of the discussion points in that thread has been the problem
of default fonts. With pdflatex the default font is CM (Computer
Modern) and if the appropriate packages are installed, you
automatically get cyrillic letters. That's why Max is a fan of this
solution.

With lualatex the default font is LM (Latin Modern; quite similar to
CM, but some metrics differ). And AFAIK LM is still worse in the range
of supported Unicode characters.

But only recently I discovered a package called "fontsetup". And this
package seems to provide a big step towards the goal discussed in the
above mentioned thread: Provide default fonts for most common
situations. The goal of fontsetup is more about easy switching between
different fonts, e.g. with the option "cambria" set everything up such
that the Microsoft Cambria font family is used and fall back to proper
fonts where Cambria has gaps. But that's also something that would be
nice for Org. Maybe we should have a closer look at this (I have no
real world experience with this package, only played a little bit with
it).

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.