Re: [BUG] org-store-link on document title

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-store-link on document title
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:59:51 +0700

On 29/06/2023 22:54, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Anthony Carrico writes:

On 6/29/23 09:20, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Sure. And if it were a plain file link, there would be no reason to
assign TITLE as description. Because the link would be to a generic line
in file.

What? The title is the perfect description for the file!

That's because you expect Org to create a link to file.
But what Org does (by default) is a link to specific _line_ in file.

I find expectation to use the title property reasonable. Text search links are not created for lines after first heading. Current behavior is not documented and (if I understand it correctly) was introduced in

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=12c09be3a
2020-02-19 18:03:53 +0100 Nicolas Goaziou: Refactor context part in file links

However there is a number of unit tests, so it was certainly an intended change.

So my vote is for [[file:document.org][title property]] when the document has at least on heading.