Re: [ANN] lisp/ob-tangle-sync.el

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [ANN] lisp/ob-tangle-sync.el
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 09:07:08 +0000

Mehmet Tekman <mtekman89@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyway, I finally did it - I got it to work. Every single patch now
> pasts tests.

Consider the following edge case:

#+PROPERTY: header-args :tangle "file name with spaces and no word.txt"

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle sync
#+end_src

With your patch, I got :tangle "file name with spaces and no word.txt sync".

Also, there is actually a big problem across Org where :tangle parameter
is often checked using expressions like (cdr (assq :tangle (nth 2 info)))
No splitting is done, and the assumption is made that the value cannot be
compound.

It looks like we are opening a Pandora box with this feature. And rather
than fixing all the places that use :tangle across Org, we may need to
create a new API to retrieve header argument values uniformly, without
knowing the details about how to split PARAMS string.

We may have to use the approach employed for :results header argument
where in addition to (:results . "string value"), we have
(:result-params "sub-value" "sub-value" ...).

:result-params is now handled by `org-babel-process-params'.
We may need to extend this function to work with all the possible header
arguments that have multiple exclusive groups and do not have a single
allowed value.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,