Wider margins on text, but no margins on tables?

From: William Denton
Subject: Wider margins on text, but no margins on tables?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 12:13:37 -0400 (EDT)

I have always run Emacs full screen and never set any margins, so the text goes from one side of my screen to the other. (It's not a big screen.) Today I'm trying out narrowing how text is displayed by setting left-margin-width and right-margin-width, so there's blank space on either side. It looks good for most things, and helps readability.

But for tables it can be a problem because sometimes I have a table that i want as wide as possible. Is there a way to have tables fit inside the margin-width settings until they get too wide, then expand out? That way a small table isn't flush left, but a big one is.

Or perhaps there is a way to set Org tables to have margin-widths of 0, so it would be: narrowed paragraph, narrowed paragraph, table flush left, narrowed paragraph.

Has anyone here configured something like this? If there's a hook to use it's beyond what I can hack. Any related tips or configurations would be welcome too.

Thanks,

Bill

--
William Denton