Re: [BUG] Warning when creating preview

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Warning when creating preview
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:04:17 +0000

Edgar Lux <edgarlux@mailfence.com> writes:

> I don't really need help with this. Org has been telling me for days
> that I should report this, but I don't really want to share my
> configuration publicly, and I thought that it was only for a file on
> which I was working. It seems to be general for my configuration. I
> hope that it helps. If you have an encrypted personal account to which
> I can send my config file, let me know.

You do not have to. If you wish, you can disable the warning by clicking
on Disable showing or Disable logging.

However, the warning indicates a problem with Org parser cache. Org
recovers from it, but not necessarily immediately. You may get certain
edits bugging out if the parser cache is not correct. For example,
certain edits may "lose" first star of a heading behind. That's why we
are so into the face of users with this warning you are seeing.

> * What happens
>
> When I type some equations and get the preview, I get this warning
>
> #+begin_quote
> \begin{gather}
> t = 0
> \end{gather}
> #+end_quote
>
> * My "system"
>
> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.36,
> cairo version 1.17.6)
>  of 2023-01-03
> Package: Org mode version 9.4.6 (release_9.4.6-13-g4be129)
>
> * The message
>
> Warning (org-element-cache): org-element--cache: Org parser error in
> t.org::35. Resetting.
>  The error was: (error "Invalid search bound (wrong side of point)")

The Org version is very strange. Emacs 28 ships with Org 9.5.5 and the
latest stable version of Org available on ELPA is Org 9.6.7. The warning
comes from Org >9.6.

It appears to me that you have some problem with Org installation.

May you try to install the latest stable Org first, following
https://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html? You should get M-x
org-version printing Org 9.6.7.

Then, let us know if the warning keeps appearing.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,