Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries that perform side effects when loading?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 13:33:01 +0000

Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> writes:

> I hear "we have a bunch of extra complex code for an ill defined
> special case". Org's designed around headings, and this special case
> was a hack to abuse the threshold for heading detection to support a
> nonstandard heading.

It was a hack to reduce the amount of special cases in the existing
code.

> Sometimes there are features we just can't support.
>
> Would removing inline tasks in core clean up anything?

It will. And it will also break some of my workflows :(

> Could we normalize the code if some of the features were enabled in a
> cookie/flag on a heading?

We would need to put more special cases. Which has pros and cons,
actually. The downside is more special cases. The upside is that most of
inlinetask bugs are originating from the same code handling both
inlinetasks and headings without accounting for their differences.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,