Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [POLL] Should we accept breaking changes to get rid of Org libraries that perform side effects when loading?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:08:14 +0200

> org-inlinetask.el cannot exist outside Org core without all the extra
> support for inlinetasks across Org codebase.

I'm aware of this.

> So, what you are suggesting will completely remove inlinetasks
> feature.

I suggest removing the support for inline tasks *as they are designed
today*, yes.  I suggest reassessing the real problem we are trying to
solve here, and see if we can come up with an approach that does not
complexify Org's core syntax too much.

E.g. perhaps allowing a :noheadingexport: tag to prevent the export of
a heading would fit 90% of what is expected from inline tasks in the
example you gave.

> Yup. That's why I think that we need to make inlinetasks have distinct
> syntax.

I'm reluctant to supercharge Org's core syntax for this feature.
I may be wrong, but I'd love to see if inline tasks are widely used,
and if so, for what specific purpose.  Again, if the core feature is
to prevent some headings from being exported, then other approaches
can be explored.

--
 Bastien Guerry