Re: [MAINTENANCE] Org orphanage?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [MAINTENANCE] Org orphanage?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:07:00 +0000

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> Thanks for offering to help out Corwin!
>
>>> Speaking for myself, I can help:
>>> [...]
>>> - review the bonafides (experience/involvement and, via Eli/SM,
>>> assignment status ) for prospective adopting maintainers
>>
>> Not sure about emacsorphanage side, but for things we decide to manage
>> on sr.ht, we can all discuss new maintainers on this mailing list. The
>> maintenance requests should also go here.
>
> The orphanage is often first brought up in the package's issue tracker,
> or on Melpa's issue tracker.  Sometimes I bring it up, sometimes a user
> of a package makes us aware of a stale package.

How do you determine when to bring up the issue? If we have a clear
criterion, I can see how Corwin or other volunteers may help - by
contacting the package authors by email/on forge they use.

> If you are interested in that kind of work looked through the list of
> orphaned packages for something that interests you and then offer to
> maintain that.

That reminds me of Emacs survey. Since the best source of maintainers is
package's own user base, may it be a good idea to ask in Emacs survey if
people use some orphaned packages?

>>> Irrespective of whether worg curators should help with this (or some
>>> other vols, or just the org maintainers, or...), I think it would make
>>> sense to document these "responsibilities" (and the detail of the
>>> plans made in this thread, in general), along with the whos and hows.
>>
>> +1
>
> I'll try collecting existing resources and maybe write some new ones,
> but I have a lot on my plate, so this will likely take a while.

A draft might be prepared by volunteers. Will it make things easier for
you?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,