Re: bug#65734: [BUG] kill-whole-line on folded subtrees [9.6.8 (release_

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#65734: [BUG] kill-whole-line on folded subtrees [9.6.8 (release_9.6.8-3-g21171d @ /home/w/usr/emacs/0/29/0/lisp/org/)]
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 15:20:19 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Cc: iota@whxvd.name, 65734@debbugs.gnu.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2023 08:30:36 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> In addition, `org-kill-line' acts specially in certain scenarios:
> >>
> >> For
> >> * Heading <point> text :tag1:tag2:
> >>
> >> `org-kill-line' will keep and re-align ":tag1:tag2:":
> >>
> >> * Heading <point>      :tag1:tag2:
> >>
> >> It would be nice if we could express such behavior without overriding
> >> the `kill-line' command.
> >
> > This could be handled by a suitable extension to end-of-visible-line.
> > For example, introduce a new text property which end-of-visible-line
> > would then handle the same as it currently handles invisible text.
>
> I am not sure if I like the idea of text property - marking all the tags
> in buffer with text property is expensive.

Then perhaps just a special value for buffer-invisibility-spec, or
some other simple variation of a property Org already uses?

> What about something like `end-of-visible-line-function'?

That is also a possibility, but it will then affect kill-line
_anywhere_ in the buffer, whereas a text property can have a more
localized effect.  Are you sure kill-line will need this customization
on the whole buffer?