Re: bug#65734: [BUG] kill-whole-line on folded subtrees [9.6.8 (release_

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: bug#65734: [BUG] kill-whole-line on folded subtrees [9.6.8 (release_9.6.8-3-g21171d @ /home/w/usr/emacs/0/29/0/lisp/org/)]
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 13:43:57 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> We may have a misunderstanding here.
>> In "* Heading text :tag1:tag2:", everything is visible yet Org needs to
>> protect ":tag1:tag2: from being killed by `kill-line', but not from
>> `kill-whole-line'. Moreover, the behaviour also depends on the point
>> position - if point is inside ":tag1:tag2:", we fall back to the default
>> behaviour. And the whole "special" behaviour can also be switched off by
>> flipping `org-special-ctrl-k'.
>>
>> Invisibility has nothing to do with this need.
>
> Isn't it true that invisibility is what causes the user expectations
> in this case to begin with?  Then saying that "invisibility has
> nothing to do with this" is not really accurate, is it?

There are two things I raised in the previous messages:
1. The specific bug reported, related to invisibility changes in
   after-change-functions
2. A request to extend `kill-whole-line' and `kill-line' to cater Org
   needs:
   - for invisible text in folded headings
   - for visible text, when `kill-line' is called on a heading

In this branch of the discussion, I am describing a request to deal with
visible text.

Hope I made things more clear now.

>> > That is also a possibility, but it will then affect kill-line
>> > _anywhere_ in the buffer, whereas a text property can have a more
>> > localized effect.  Are you sure kill-line will need this customization
>> > on the whole buffer?
>>
>> Applying text property is not free - (1) we need to do it across the
>> whole buffer, which scales poorly; (2) we need to keep it updated as the
>> buffer changes, which scales even worse. In addition, adding more text
>> properties slow down redisplay, which Org already strains to its limits.
>
> I understand, but in my book correctness tramps performance, and I was
> trying to make the point that perhaps modifying the behavior of
> kill-line everywhere in Org buffers might be incorrect for some cases.

I think that `end-of-visible-line-function' might be more appropriate -
it does not reduce correctness (we can simply fall back to the default
behaviour when needed) and less problematic performance-wise, as I
described.

Or maybe some other idea. But not text properties - they are
problematic performance-wise. In addition, `org-kill-line' is sensitive
to point position (do different things at bol, before ":tag:...", and
inside it). I am not sure how to make things depend on point position
with text properties only.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,