Re: Is there a size limit to org files?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Is there a size limit to org files?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 16:52:28 +0000

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed that an org file I was using for my capture templates was getting
> quite large
> and that my capture templates that were pasting TODO entries in that file
> were starting to exhibit
> strange behavior. Mostly just getting stuck at a mysterious "clipboard
> pasted to level 2 subtree"
> message, then it would just hang there until I hit ctrl g.

That could be a bug, but it is impossible to fix it without knowing more
details.

> Since this file was getting quite big and unwieldy, > 5000 lines, I
> decided ...

I am using 100x (yes, 100 times) larger org file right now. With 500k lines.

> So, I was wondering if there is hardcoded somewhere in org some kind of
> size limit to the
> files it has to deal with, or is this some limitation arising naturally
> from the size of
> the clipboard? I'm not sure how org handles large files when considering
> how to paste
> entries from capture templates.

There is no size limit on Org files. Although certain operations may
become slower when the file size reaches tens of megabytes.

Clipboard should normally not be a problem either.

If you can interrupt with C-g, there might be some infinite loop
somewhere in the code.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,