Re: Some Issues I Encountered While Developing Metanote

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Some Issues I Encountered While Developing Metanote
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 08:43:26 +0000

note meta <metanote.team@gmail.com> writes:

> 3. About Pre-blank
>
>    The first blank line in a Greater Element is parsed as a paragraph.
> However, this behavior is inconsistent in Items and Footnote definitions.
> In Items and Footnote definitions, a blank line is parsed as a Pre-blank.
> In Footnote definitions, especially, this blank line appears only once
> because having more than one would break the Footnote definitions.
>
> #+begin_example
> [fn:a]
>
> bbb
> #+end_example

Not just items and footnotes, but also headings.

AFAIK, the original motivations to separate :pre-blank from contents was
to avoid problems during export to LaTeX, where blank lines can
sometimes break document structure because blank lines serve as
paragraph separators.

In practice, it does not matter much though - ox-latex cleans up blank
lines in paragraphs.

The only place where :pre-blank is actually utilized is headings.

That said, removing :pre-blank will be a breaking change in the parser.
And I do not see any clear practical benefit dropping it.
So, we should probably leave the current idiosyncrasy for items,
footnote-definitions, and headlines as is.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,