Keeping org-id entries updated with buffer position changes

From: Sebastian Wålinder
Subject: Keeping org-id entries updated with buffer position changes
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:54:32 +1000

Hello!

I often use org-id to create persistent links to headings like this:

* Foo
:PROPERTIES:
:ID:       BAR
:END:

[[BAR][Link]]

However, after inserting a line above foo, following the link BAR will take me
to the wrong line, because the org-id database hasn't been updated with the
headline's new position.

Running `org-id-update-id-locations` fixes this issue, but takes forever to run
because it goes through all my org files.

How would I keep these links updated when I make frequent edits? Is there a
function that updates the IDs in a single file only? If so, I could advice the
open link function to run it first and update all the positions quickly before
following the link.

Thoughts?

Thanks!