Bug in org-insert-link?

From: Guillaume MULLER
Subject: Bug in org-insert-link?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:29:24 +0200

Hi,

Here is a situation that I often end up in:

- Open a .org file
- Type some text
- Select it
- Call org-insert-link
- Switch to another windows/desktop to find my running firefox
- Copy a URL
- Switch back to (Doom)Emacs ("window"/desktop)
- Click inside the Emacs "window" to give it focus
[Here is the problem: sometimes I forgot that I already started the
org-insert-link]
- Call org-insert-link
- Paste the URL
- Validate the link creation

Then the link is inserted where I clicked last (to give focus to the Emacs
"window").

Of course, the problem lies in my mistake of calling twice the org-insert-link
method, but the behavior is very strange, and it took me some time to identify
why my links were inserted at random places in my text.

However, wouldn't it be possible to prevent it from the beginning by forbidding
me to call org-insert-link twice, i.e. making it a singleton/atomic function (I
don't see a UseCase where this could be useful to be able to call it inside
itself, but maybe I'm wrong)?

Thanks

--
Guillaume MULLER