Re: Named columns in org tables [9.7-pre (release_9.6.9-797-g4d0f89]

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Named columns in org tables [9.7-pre (release_9.6.9-797-g4d0f89]
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 10:09:27 +0000

Paul Stansell <paulstansell@gmail.com> writes:

> On this page https://orgmode.org/manual/Advanced-features.html
> it says
> - '!' :: The fields in this line define names for the columns, so that
>   you may refer to a column as '$Tot' instead of '$6'.
>
> However, when I experimented with this I found that the first of the
> following two tables works (i.e. the empty cells are filled in
> correctly), but the second doesn't (the only difference is the
> replacement of $4 with $c3 in the second table):
> Is this a bug?

In the earlier section https://orgmode.org/manual/Column-formulas.html,
we do explain this caveat:

"The left-hand side of a column formula can not be the name of column,
it must be the numeric column reference or ‘$>’."

Thus, I see no reason to amend the manual. (And I hope that we will
remove this restriction after
https://list.orgmode.org/877cqwbpa2.fsf@runbox.com is merged)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,