Re: Bug in org-insert-link?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Bug in org-insert-link?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 10:18:10 +0000

Guillaume MULLER <guillaume.muller@emse.fr> writes:

> - Switch back to (Doom)Emacs ("window"/desktop)
> - Click inside the Emacs "window" to give it focus
> [Here is the problem: sometimes I forgot that I already started the
> org-insert-link]
> - Call org-insert-link
> - Paste the URL
> - Validate the link creation
>
> Then the link is inserted where I clicked last (to give focus to the Emacs
> "window").

By default, Emacs moves point to where you click. You can do the same
thing if you deliberately C-x o from the minibuffer. See 9.3 Editing in
the Minibuffer section of Emacs manual.
I see nothing wrong on the Org side.

> Of course, the problem lies in my mistake of calling twice the
> org-insert-link method, but the behavior is very strange, and it took me some
> time to identify why my links were inserted at random places in my text.
>
> However, wouldn't it be possible to prevent it from the beginning by
> forbidding me to call org-insert-link twice, i.e. making it a
> singleton/atomic function (I don't see a UseCase where this could be useful
> to be able to call it inside itself, but maybe I'm wrong)?

Check out 22.1 Mouse Commands for Editing section of Emacs manual.
`x-mouse-click-focus-ignore-position' might be something you want to
customize.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,