[proof of concept, tip] 'Templates with arguments' using org src blocks

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: [proof of concept, tip] 'Templates with arguments' using org src blocks
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 08:07:54 +0000

Hi, this is a proof of concept of how a sort of 'templates with
arguments' can be used within Org, just with Org’s own resources at the
user level. It occurred to me that org src blocks might be handy for
this. For this test I just made a disguised format string using this
function:

┌────
│   (defun my-format-template (template vars)
│     (format
│"#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results raw :exports results :var template = %s
│   (format
│    (format \"%%s\" template)
│   %s)
│ #+end_src" template vars))
└────

and a macro:

┌────
│ #+MACRO: template (eval (my-format-template $1 $2))
└────

A simple example. We start from this template:

┌────
│ #+NAME: template1
│ #+begin_src org :exports none
│   ,*%s*
│   %s
│ #+end_src
│
│ #+header: :var hello = "Hello World"
│ #+header: :var str = "Lorem ipsum dolor"
│ {{{template(template1,hello str)}}}
└────

An example with a src block inside the template:

┌────
│ #+NAME: template2
│ #+begin_src org :exports none
│   ,#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports results :results raw
│   (let ((name "%s"))
│   (format "/Hello, %%s/" name))
│   ,#+end_src
│ #+end_src
│
│ #+header: :var name = "World"
│ {{{template(template2,name)}}}
└────

And this example is somewhat more elaborate. We want a table in LaTeX
with the threeparttable package. Template:

┌────
│ #+NAME: tptable
│ #+begin_src org :exports none
│   ,#+begin_table
│   ,#+ATTR_LaTeX: :options [b]
│   ,#+begin_threeparttable
│   %s
│   ,#+begin_tablenotes
│   %s
│   ,#+end_tablenotes
│   ,#+end_threeparttable
│   ,#+end_table
│ #+end_src
└────

the table:

┌────
│ #+NAME: table1
│ #+begin_src org :exports none
│   ,#+ATTR_LaTeX: :center nil :booktabs t :float nil
│   ,#+caption: Lorem ipsum dolor
│   ,#+name: table1
│   |-------+--------------------------+-------|
│   | lorem | ipsum@@latex:\tnote{1}@@ | dolor |
│   | lorem | ipsum@@latex:\tnote{2}@@ | dolor |
│   |-------+--------------------------+-------|
│ #+end_src
└────

And, finally:

┌────
│ #+header: :var table = table1
│ #+header: :var notes = "\\item [1] First note\n\\item [2] Second note"
│ {{{template(tptable,table notes)}}}
└────

Best regards,

Juan Manuel