Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Case insensitivity of simple [[links]]
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 12:43:56 +0200

>> For context, I use '#+OPTIONS: num:nil', which means that '[[link]]'
>> exports as 'link' and not a section number.
>
> I am confused. num:nil just means that section titles will not be
> numbered. It has nothing to do with links, AFAIK.

My sentence says it all, but if that is not clear, consider:

EXAMPLE 1:

  This is a [[test]] link.

  * test

EXPORT OF EXAMPLE 1:

  This is a 1 link.

EXAMPLE 2:

  This is a [[test]] link.

  * test

EXPORT OF EXAMPLE 2:

  This is a test link.

> What about [[Link][link]]?

That makes Org documents hard to read in *plain text*, that is without
the "descriptive links" fontification.  Here is my note again, compare:

EXAMPLE 1: Hard-to-read, unhelpful markup:

  The set of [[Cellular membrane][cellular membrane]]-bound
  [[Organelle][organelle]]s inside of the [[Eukaryotic cell][eukaryotic
  cell]] that work together on the synthesis and distribution of
  [[Protein][protein]]s and [[Lipid][lipid]]s.

EXAMPLE 2: Lightweight, helpful markup:

  The set of [[cellular membrane]]-bound [[organelle]]s inside of the
  [[eukaryotic cell]] that work together on the synthesis and
  distribution of [[protein]]s and [[lipid]]s.

> Judging from your example, I am not sure if it is an actual problem
> with Org mode. I am still to see a use case when case-insensitivity
> would be useful. Now, I am inclined to fix the docstring (and possibly
> the manual), clarifying about case-sensitivity of the internal links.

For me, this is not only "an actual problem with Org" but the biggest
problem, and the only big problem, I have with Org.

As a markup language, Org is "99% there" in having some of the *most
practical* plain text [[link]]s available, but then falls short on case
sensitivity, ending up with the exact opposite.

Now, I could use descriptive links, which hide the [[Wart][wart]] behind
fontification tricks, but that would not solve my problem.  Why?  I need
to use other plain text tools, such as Git, with my densely linked Org
documents.

Rudy
--
"Simplicity is complexity resolved."