Re: Are 'placement' and 'float' "obsolete terms" in inline images export

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Are 'placement' and 'float' "obsolete terms" in inline images exported to LaTeX?
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2023 18:35:17 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

>> In tables there is more consistency because :float is a float
>> environment (table or any arbitrary value) and :environment is a table
>> environment (tabular or any arbitrary value). Here :placement :options
>> and :align act as what is expected of them:
>>
>> #+ATTR_LaTeX: :environment foo :float var :placement [!h] :options [blah]
>> :align cccc
>> |a|a|a|a|
>>
>> ===>
>>
>> \begin{var}[!h]
>> \centering
>> \begin{foo}[blah]{cccc}
>> a & a & a & a\\[0pt]
>> \end{foo}
>> \end{var}
>> \end{document}
>
> This is not documented and is possibly a bug.

I would say that it is the expected behavior: :float is for a float
environment and :environment is for the environment that builds the
table (by default tabular). According to the manual:

#+begin_quote
The table environments by default are not floats in LaTeX.  To make
them floating objects use =:float= with one of the following
=sidewaystable= environment), =multicolumn= [...] and
=nil=.  In addition to these three values, =:float= can pass through
any arbitrary value, for example a user-defined float type with the
=float= LaTeX package
#+end_quote

and (for :environment):

#+begin_quote
Set the default LaTeX table environment for the LaTeX export
backend to use when exporting Org tables.  Common LaTeX table
environments are provided by these packages: tabularx, longtable,
array, tabu, and bmatrix.  For packages, such as tabularx and tabu,
or any newer replacements
#+end_quote

The difference is that with images, except in cases of somewhat more
complex constructions where there are subfigures, there is only one
environment, "figure" by default or any other arbitrary one. There was a
commit a while ago, I don't remember when, that allowed :float to
support any arbitrary string as the float environment name, in images
and tables. In images ':float t' is figure (by default) and in tables it
is table (also by default).

Update: ah, I already have the commit located, because I also remember
that I myself sent a patch to update the documentation and correct a
regression that that commit introduced (:float t produced an environment
"t" (\begin{t}...\end{t}):

https://list.orgmode.org/878ruhrvfq.fsf@posteo.net/