Re: [BUG] org-babel-tangle may fail due to (org-babel-tangle-collect-blo

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-babel-tangle may fail due to (org-babel-tangle-collect-blocks lang-re tangle-file) [9.6.9 ( @ /home/andrea/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6.9/)]
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:04:15 +0000

Andrea <andrea-dev@hotmail.com> writes:

> Sometimes I get an error on org-babel-load-file saying that
> org-babel-tangle-collect-blocks was called with target-file set to nil.

May it be possible to provide more details about the error you are
seeing? You can set `debug-on-error' to t and post the backtrace, which
will give more details. Or, better, provide a reproducer. See
https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

> Since that seems an effective but senseless action, I just looked into it and
> there is
> something weird in the code of org-babel-tangle:
>
> Given the header of the function:
>
>   (defun org-babel-tangle (&optional arg target-file lang-re)
>
> and the docstring section
>
>   "Optional argument TARGET-FILE can be used to specify a default export
>   file for all source blocks.  "
>
> I think this let binding in org-babel-tangle is weird and the cause of my
> error:
>
>   (tangle-file
>            (when (equal arg '(16))
>              (or (cdr (assq :tangle (nth 2 (org-babel-get-src-block-info
> 'no-eval))))
>                  (user-error "Point is not in a source code block"))))
>
> Shouldn't that be:
>
>   (tangle-file
>            (or
>                (when (equal arg '(16))
>                (or (cdr (assq :tangle (nth 2 (org-babel-get-src-block-info
> 'no-eval))))
>                    (user-error "Point is not in a source code
>            block")))
>              target-file ;; the target file which was passed as input of
> org-babel-tangle
>              ))

No, tangle-file being nil should not be a problem.

> Any chance I found a bug?

Likely, but not necessarily in `org-babel-tangle'.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,