Re: [FR] A more general case than footnotes

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [FR] A more general case than footnotes
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 00:46:05 -0500

Ihor Radchenko writes:
Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:

I propose links to arbitrary points in different files.

Furthermore, I think it would be a very nice new feature,
probably more opinions than mine should be heard.

See:
- https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/118435e8-0b20-46fd-af6a-88de8e19fac6@app.fastmail.com/ - https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/CAJniy+OVD0NCWZZTPit5T7wvsbLbgLLXZmPub5tgq3gsHsGhYw@mail.gmail.com/ - https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/CAJcAo8s=cjNY-7-mA1zQk3R9HEWYreTatdVeHfJ39ccM9=kMog@mail.gmail.com/

The idea is not new, but we need someone to implement it one way
or another.

At my company, I implemented something that (I think) does what Maske and those earlier threads are getting at:

https://code.librehq.com/ots/ots-tools/-/blob/main/emacs-tools/oref.el

We often use it with Org Mode files, but it's not specific to Org Mode -- it works with any plaintext format. In fact, our most common use case is cross-referencing from precise locations in LaTeX files to precise locations in Org Mode files.

A couple of days ago I happened to post [1] on the Emacs Humanities list about a updated version of oref.el. Maske noticed that post, and referred me to this thread here.

My original announcement post from a year ago [2] is a good place to get a quick overview of how oref.el works.

At the time I wrote oref.el, I didn't know about org-id.el. But it wouldn't be too hard to make oref.el automagically compatible with Org ":ID:" properties. I.e., `oref-do-ref' would jump to them, copy them, etc, in just the same way it currently does with native oref references. And the oref ref files cache would just become the union of `oref-ref-files-cache' and `org-id-files'. While I'll hand-wave a bit on the details right now, I think there is a natural compatibility available. If people are interested in this extension of oref.el, let me know.

Best regards,
-Karl

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-humanities/2023-10/msg00001.html

[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-humanities/2022-10/msg00009.html