Re: [FR] A more general case than footnotes

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [FR] A more general case than footnotes
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2023 10:02:20 -0500

On 02 Nov 2023, Suhail Singh wrote:
Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:

My original announcement post from a year ago [2] is a good place to get a quick
overview of how oref.el works.

[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-humanities/2022-10/msg00009.html

From [2]:
Thus, in "jones-interview.org" you might have this:

Blah blah blah and then she said that the rockets had reached speeds
of .3c in testing scenarios on a few occasions.  [ref:1c3a90a9]

Is it intended to be [ref:1c3a90a9] or is it supposed to be
[[ref:1c3a90a9]] (i.e., a regular link without description)?

The former: [ref:1c3a90a9]

oref.el isn't specific to Org Mode -- it's for use with any text-based format. In fact, our company's typical usage involves references that cross between text files of different formats: e.g., LaTeX <--> Markdown, Org <--> DocBook Lite XML, etc.

Now, "[[ref:1c3a90a9]]" contains "[ref:1c3a90a9]" of course, so in an Org Mode file one could format oref origin links as regular Org Mode links without descriptions. But personally I find that I'm never doing that -- I just put "[ref:1c3a90a9]".

On a related note, how are the references exported?

There is no provision for exporting. That's an Org Mode concept, but not an oref.el concept.

Best regards,
-Karl