Re: Syncing orgcard.tex with upstream Emacs (was: bug#64578: orgcard.tex

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Syncing orgcard.tex with upstream Emacs (was: bug#64578: orgcard.tex fixes to allow PDF rendering to be used as a triptych.)
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2023 20:44:05 -0500

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> Here is the difference between the two cards, as of the last sync:
>>
>>   -\input org-version.tex
>>   +\def\orgversionnumber{9.6.11}
>>   +\def\versionyear{2023}          % latest update
>>   +\input emacsver.tex
>>   +\centerline{For more Emacs documentation, and the \TeX{} source for this
>> card, see}
>>   +\centerline{the Emacs distribution, or {\tt
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs}}
>>   +
>
> Aside: It appears to be only partially documented in
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-maintenance.html#emacs-sync. In particular,
> the last two lines.

I'm happy to clarify or add to those docs.  I didn't write them, but I
did go through them somewhat recently to better align them with the
actual porting/syncing process.

With respect to the emacs-sync branch, that page currently says

  Typically, Org can be synchronized by copying over files from the
  emacs-sync branch of the Org repository to the master branch of Emacs
  repository. The emacs-sync branch has a few extra changes compared
  with the bugfix branch

Would you like me to add more details about why the branch exists?  How
it's managed?  Something else?

> May we just add
>
>>   +\centerline{For more Emacs documentation, and the \TeX{} source for this
>> card, see}
>>   +\centerline{the Emacs distribution, or {\tt
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs}}
>
> to Org repo?

These lines (or rather what became these lines) were added in Emacs's
4af5981dc75 (Add a comment in generated refcards about the source,
2016-11-17).  I decided to port that commit to emacs-sync rather than a
primary Org branch because I felt it only applied to the Org card
distributed as part of the Emacs tree.  From my notes [*]:

  I'm skipping this because it isn't true when the card is from the Org
  mode repo.

However, if you prefer to include those lines in Org's copy, that's fine
by me.

[*]
https://git.kyleam.com/orgmode-backport-notes/tree/orgmode-backports.org?id=35eaf5a21dc776c9f7a880d0a4bf9ffc48213985#n3464