Re: Syncing orgcard.tex with upstream Emacs (was: bug#64578: orgcard.tex

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Syncing orgcard.tex with upstream Emacs (was: bug#64578: orgcard.tex fixes to allow PDF rendering to be used as a triptych.)
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2023 10:42:41 +0000

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

>> Maybe we should even have that file in the main repo as a part of
>> emacs-sync branch?
>
> I prefer not to.  I intended that branch to track the state of Org files
> that are synced, not to store auxiliary logs.
> The emacs-sync branch provides a transparent way to keep track of the
> limited set of Emacs-specific modifications needed for the sync.  We're
> not talking about an ever-growing set of changes.
> The emacs-sync branch has other Emacs-specific modifications, yes.
> Again, keeping track of those is the reason it exists.
>
>   $ git diff --stat bugfix...emacs-sync
>    .gitignore                           |  1 -
>    doc/{doc-setup.org => org-setup.org} |  2 +-
>    doc/{org-manual.org => org.org}      |  4 ++--
>    doc/orgcard.tex                      |  7 ++++++-
>    etc/schema/schemas.xml               | 57
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>    lisp/org-version.el                  | 24 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
>    6 files changed, 90 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

I see now. I guess I did not really have a full understanding of the
purpose of emacs-sync. So, it might be helpful to add a similar
explanation to worg/org-maintenance.org.

>> I can see the point. Although, I feel like accumulating such divergence
>> may backfire after some time.
>
> How do you see this particular spot backfiring?  If Emacs changes the
> Emacs-specific text (as they did once in 2016), I port that to the
> emacs-sync branch.  Or if Org changes neighboring text, I resolve the
> conflict on merge into emacs-sync (very likely just taking both sides).
> The resolution is recorded for anyone to look back on.

I was mainly concerned about complex conflicts that might
(theoretically) occur. But it indeed does not matter if the conflicts
are limited and manageable.

>> May we possibly resolve the conflict properly using something like the
>> attached patch?  Then, we can use the same orgcard source but have
>> orgcardemacsnotice.tex empty in Org repository.
>
> I don't see what problem it solves.  It's moving the divergence to a
> different file (that would still be tracked in emacs-sync), and it adds
> one more Org-specific wrinkle to the Emacs tree.  (Also, the orgcard
> source would still be different given the upstream hunk in the diff I
> posted in my last message.)

My idea was not to sync that another extra file at all and leave it in
Emacs repo only. But the same will not work for xml and other diverging
files. I now don't see any reason to change the existing state of affairs.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,