Re: oeg-add-note and double backslash ?

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: oeg-add-note and double backslash ?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 23:52:16 -0800

> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> To prevent fill-region from concatenating the auto-generated text in the
>>> first line and the user input in the following lines.
>>
>> Ah.  Is that mentioned somewhere in the Org manual?  I don't mean the
>> details of fill-region, but a little something to answer "why is that
>> there?" by new users.
>
> No, AFAIK, the exact format of notes is not described in the manual.
> We do not describe every single detail in the manual.
> I believe that the exact wording of the notes is not something we have
> to describe.

Hmm. glancing through the manual, there is a bit of assumption implicit
about the use of '\\'.  We had the problem with Unix Shell scripts that
we would need a backslash at the end of a line to prevent the EOL as
being interpreted as end-of-input. Depending on the layers of scripting
we were using, we added backslashes after the backslash because each
layer would peel off a backslash.  This is what I first thought of in
reading the manual.

Seeing '\\' at the end of the note line, I thought something would get
messed up if the EOLs (except last) in the Note were treated as
end-of-input, so I added them to all but the last line. This is what I
think needs clarification.

--
David Masterson