Re: [FR] Allow flattened imenu index

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [FR] Allow flattened imenu index
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 23:35:19 +0000

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 11:23 PM Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:

> >> But if the LS will produce distinct strings, good.
> > All imenu backends, at least all the ones I've seen, produce
> > trees, not strings.
>
> There are exceptions, like the previously mentioned one.

What is the imenu backend that produces strings?  A list of
strings is still a tree, albeit very flat.  Some LS's produce
such things.  Are there imenu backends that produce lists of
strings with duplicates?   Where, when, how is that not a
problem with the existing imenu UI already, and have we heard
of it all these years?

> > If you collect all the paths from the root to
> > all the nodes into lists and make strings thereof, the resulting
> > set will always be a distinct strings.  So I don't understand the
> > problem you were surfacing: any particular imenu backend in mind?
>
> Do you have an example of such tree produced by Eglot when a class
> contains an instance and a singleton method with the same name?

No.  I thought you did, else why would you bring it up?  Grab a
Ruby LS and try it.  Or maybe say what the ruby-mode imenu backend
does? No rush, but as usual I think there's no point discussing
odd conjectures without something palpable in front.

Thanks,
João