Re: [BUG] beamer export

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: [BUG] beamer export
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:13:49 +0000

On Wed, Jan 24 2024, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

>>> This appears to be Beamer-specific problem with verbatim environments:
>>> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140719/verbatim-in-beamer-showing-error-file-ended-while-scanning-use-of-xverbatim
>>>
>>> The solution might be to use [fragile] frame parameter, but that might
>>> have its own drawbacks:
>>> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/136240/drawbacks-of-using-fragile-frames-in-beamer
>>
>> Yes, an *automatic* solution may create more problems than it solves.
>> Although, I do note that ox-beamer does mark some frames as fragile already.
>> I wonder how difficult it would be to add a property drawer to frames,
>> so (amongst other things), they could be marked fragile?
>
> Hmm. Actually, that frame is already marked fragile.
> Yet, it is not enough...

> Apparently, LaTeX has really hard time processing verbatim code inside
> beamer frames.

I looked again at the solution here:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140719/verbatim-in-beamer-showing-error-file-ended-while-scanning-use-of-xverbatim

and it errors out with a recent version of pdflatex:

   This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.25 (TeX Live 2023/Debian)
(preloaded format=pdflatex)

This is, apparently, a known problem:

https://github.com/josephwright/beamer/issues/360

The end of that issue report includes a work-around that we might apply
in org. I have attached a patch for your feedback. The example that
stimulated this discussion compiles with the patch and the testsuite
shows no errors related to it.

>>> This is not a bug. When you specify ignoreheading environment, you imply
>>> that the contents of the heading is to be included as is.
>>> If you want the contents to become a column, you should specify column
>>> environment.
>>
>> I see. That is not now the ignoreheading property is described. It says
>> [1]:
>>
>>     ... As the text in the slide says, the left column is a list and the
>>     right one is an image. The left column's headline text is ignored,
>>     specified by =C-c C-b i= which tells org to *ignore* the headline
>>     text completely.
>>
>> I think the documentation and example needs to be corrected. I have
>> attached a patch.
>
> Thanks! Applied.
> https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/worg/commit/aedea59f

Thanks. I can see the commit on master in git, but the webpage seems to
be unchanged.

https://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html

Leo