Re: [BUG] Unexpected result when evaluating python src block asynchronou

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: [BUG] Unexpected result when evaluating python src block asynchronously [9.7-pre (release_9.6.17-1131-gc9ed03.dirty @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 17:30:09 -0800

Bruno Barbier <brubar.cs@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ihor,
>
> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>

>> This is most likely something about my current system setup - I can
>> reproduce with other Org mode and Emacs versions. But I have no clue
>> what is the cause.
>
> I'm getting the same as you with your MWE.
>
> The tag, used by ob-comint async, is:
>
>    "/tmp/babel-zqh04P/python-GL5N5d"
>
> but, in "/tmp/bug.org" it becomes:
>
>    "babel-zqh04P/python-GL5N5d"
>
> (`org-babel-result-to-file' transformed it into a simpler relative
> path).
>
> The filter `org-babel-comint-async-filter' cannot spot it, because
> it's searching for the exact string "/tmp/babel-zqh04P/python-tXsdFw".

Thanks, I believe your diagnosis is correct, and can confirm the bug
occurs when the Org file is in /tmp. The problem goes away when
`org-link-file-path-type' is set to absolute.

I think the correct solution would be for `org-babel-insert-result' to
not insert file results (or any other special results) for async session
blocks.  Perhaps in this case, `org-babel-insert-result' could return a
new result type, named "async", "future", or similar.