Re: [BUG] Unexpected result when evaluating python src block asynchronou

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Unexpected result when evaluating python src block asynchronously [9.7-pre (release_9.6.17-1131-gc9ed03.dirty @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 15:07:46 +0000

Jack Kamm <jackkamm@gmail.com> writes:

> I think the correct solution would be for `org-babel-insert-result' to
> not insert file results (or any other special results) for async session
> blocks.  Perhaps in this case, `org-babel-insert-result' could return a
> new result type, named "async", "future", or similar.

That will not work.
`org-babel-comint-async-filter' expects a unique result to be inserted
into Org buffer, so that it can be located, and replaced by the async
evaluation output.

So, we have to insert some kind of indicator for async result.

Of course, the existing scheme of coordination between
`org-babel-insert-result' and `org-babel-comint-async-filter' is
erroneous:

1. We have the problem with :results file value discussed here
2. We have a worse problem with :results file :file foo when the result
   may not be unique
3. We have :results append/prepend completely broken because
   `org-babel-comint-async-filter' simply calls
   `org-babel-insert-result' implicitly assuming that the existing
   indicator is replaced.

The whole thing should be re-designed.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,