[BUG] Invalid capture datetree capture templates (newly introduced) [9.7

From: Justin Silverman
Subject: [BUG] Invalid capture datetree capture templates (newly introduced) [9.7-pre (release_9.6.18-1145-g10d286 @ /home/jds6696/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 09:23:24 -0500

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen. You don’t know how to make a good report? See

https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

I have been using the same capture templates for years now without problem. Recently updated org and noticed a new bug.

Example: the following capture template now produces an error:
let: Invalid capture target specification: (file+olp+datetree “~/Dropbox/org/mtx-michelle.org”)

(“mp” “meeting psu” entry (file+olp+datetree “~/Dropbox/org/meetings_psu.org”)
“* MEETING %u with %? :MEETING:”
:jump-to-captured t
:tree-type month)

Org no longer allows the third argument in (file+olp+datetree “~/Dropbox/org/meetings_psu.org”) to be omitted. Everything works if I embed the datetree under a headline “foo” and make the capture template

(“mp” “meeting psu” entry (file+olp+datetree “~/Dropbox/org/meetings_psu.org” “foo”)
“* MEETING %u with %? :MEETING:”
:jump-to-captured t
:tree-type month)

Thanks!
Justin

Emacs : GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.40, cairo version 1.18.0)
Package: Org mode version 9.7-pre (release_9.6.18-1145-g10d286 @ home/jds6696.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)